Rear tine tiller motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tine tiller motor question

So there is a rear tine tiller that has been sitting uncranked and unused for at least 20 years in my grandmother's barn. It's a big, heavy duty creature that is still in 'good' looking condition...and I would like to get it working instead of buying a new one...but what are the odds of getting it to work? Think it's shot all to hell?
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

The most common issues I've seen (from observing what RD and the boys have dealt with) any damage/worn out will be fuel related -- i.e. carburetor, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel tank, AND spark plug(s)/wires.
    The older ones were made to last, so IMHO it would be worth investing some time to check it out.

RD says he'll post some more details this evening.
    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Excellent, kind of what I thought, too. Thanks and looking forward to the details

Comment

Gwyn hit on a lot of them. How old? What make and model. First thing I would do is pull the dip stick see if it has any oil in it . If so then see if you can get the engine to turn over by hand . Next check for spark . Then fuel . I have worked on a lot of old engine 's that have sat around for years that have nothing wrong with them. One thing to remember when trying to turn the engine over(by hand) make sure the transmission is disengaged or in neutral or you will be trying to turn the tillers that are probably sitting on the ground. Then I would hold up on the handle bars and push and pull with the weight on the tillers to see if they are free . If all that passes try to get the engine running.

Comment

I agree with all above, but will add one thing. If it's been sitting around for that long, BEFORE you try getting the engine to turn over, I would remove the spark plug and squirt in a bit of engine oil, and let that sit for a day or so prior to trying to turn the engine over. Leave that spark plug out when cranking.
          Defund the Media !!

Comment

you are so right Kick Very good point. I got all excited just like when I find an old engine my self. Breathe ... Breathe ok I'm better now.

Comment

kick and tfk pretty much covered what I was going to suggest, the one thing I would add. If it has been sitting with a fair about of gas, once you dump and refill. If it won't start or is running crappy. I would pull carb off and submerge in a cleaner for a day or so. I like seafoam, but a others my just use fresh ethanol free gas.

RD
              Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Thanks everyone, all the posts are really helpful and just what I needed to know. I will be tackling this project in the next week or so!

Comment

let us know and post pics.

Comment

Yup, I think they covered it. Keep us updated and send pics. I love old engine stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X