A New Year, A New Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Year, A New Farm

I figure I will start my new thread now. When we actually name the place I will see about changing the thread name if that is ok.

SO we toured the new farm and it will be just right for us. It's only 5 acres, but it's 5 GOOD acres. SOme citrus trees, a fig tree, Two little fields are fenced-one for animals, (with 2 separate animal sections-sheep section and hog section) and a little space that has been farmed in the past and it is just the right size for us to grow plenty to put up for the year and eat during the season. There are 3 wells-one for drinking, one for irrigation and one with a hand pump. (woohoo!) Lots of beautiful oaks, set back in a wooded area away from a main road, people mind their own business but are friendly. We move in around Jan 27th so you can imagine how busy I am packing right now!

The house is from the 20's and it's adorable, with plenty of room for us. The kitchen is PHENOMENAL and really, my dream kitchen. There is a small dining room that we have to finish up (nail up some beadboard and paint) and the living room has a beautiful stone fireplace.

Animals come with, so we have 4 sheep (2 big boys, a mama and baby) 2 hogs, handful of chickens in a cute little pen.
    I am seriously considering a couple nubian milk goats-but I need to fortify the hog wire sheep pen a little better. I could just get an older milk cow. I'm pondering that. Any suggestions on how to fix the hog wire so crafty goats can't escape? I'd like to avoid electric.

Also taking suggestions on farm names. I really like 'Feast or Famine Farms' cause that is our life, but don't wanna jinx us!

That's my update!
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Oh SM it sounds like a dream come true. You have been through the fire to get this. Well deserved! Very happy for you and can't wait for your updates.

Blessings Farm
    Possible Dreams
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Got a Name! Ghost Town Farms.

The little town we are moving to is technically a Ghost Town and the place I come from is technically a Ghost Town. So there ya go. Ghost Town Farms.

Comment

ha ha ha, fencing goats in...who ever heard of such a silly notion

Congrats on your farm, good luck

Comment

Good luck on the new place !!
          People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
          ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Sounds truly awesome!

Comment

I like the name SM.
              Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
              Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Could move the S, Ghost Towns Farm?
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Southernmom,check with tractor supply,you can get sections of fencing there. Just check and see what kind you want,maybe a good choice,I know they got all kinds for goats ,hogs,cows,or horses also. congrats on the farm,makes me jealous, good luck,G
                  Sometimes I question my sanity but the unicorn and gummy bears told me I am fine

Comment

Also check craigslist and freecycle, see if what you need is available for pocket change, or for hauling it off.
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

You put up a fence and the goats consider that a "double dare you"! So happy you found the perfect place after all you've been through. You deserve it!
                      NICHEVO

Comment

Need moar pictures. Congrats SM

Comment

That is awsome. Would love to find a place like that. Congrats and moar pictures.
                          If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Very cool SM...... Congrats!!
                            Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

I feel so loved

I will post pics when we actually get moved in, right now I am packing this place, sorting, and going crazy with planning Christmas. Will keep this updated!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X