keeping chickens safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping chickens safe

My mom had three hens that were laying eggs, she raised them over the past year and a half from chicks and kep them in a coop with a door.
    A few days ago she went out to feed them and they were gone, a few feathers in the coop but no blood and the door was closed.
    She is guessing that a two legged critter took them as we know that people use to cross the fences in the field at night.
    I need suggestions to keep the safe once she gets more chickens, the coop is about 150 feet beind their house and they keep the dog indoors.

Punji stake pit.

Only kidding.
    "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

If you live by Home depot - they have battery powered motion detectors. They are extremely loud. If you elevate them four feet or so off the ground - that should eliminate false alarms from 4 legged crtitters. They are about the size of a large cigarette pack.

There are other devices you can build ;-) but the admins would delete them as soon as I post them....

Comment

Also, you can connect the motion sensors to things like cameras and sprinklers.
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

since I'm sure that the two legged critters are illegals... punji trap and other ideas are allowed
          I'll suggest the battery powered motion detectors and will let my mom and sister deal with them the old fashioned way

Comment

Battery powered motion lights and a red dot scope.....

Good, high voltage hotwire and run layers. You get zapped a time or two by one of the good Ines, and you won't think a yard bird is worth the hassle. Also, rethink 4 legged critters. It is amazing what they can get into and out of and leave no sign. The hotwire will work on them as well. So will the motion lights and a red dot.

Comment

[QUOTE=redman2006;45204]Battery powered motion lights and a red dot scope.....

if my nepehw still lived at home I'd say this would work, my mom and sister can both shoot though
              sister has my dads old bolt action 22 that she kills tree rats with and mom has a 38 special and the nephew
              works at a gun shop/shooting range and makes sure they have ammo for both
              Last edited by Wyndigo; 11-09-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

mom now has six more hens and she and my sister added a lock to the chicken coops gate.
                my nephew added a few surprises around the top of the fenceline for any two legged critters

Comment

A must read on stopping thieves , http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum...c-fence-25448/

Comment

A blunt word is in order. Depending on state and local laws are usually more harsh about booby traps than they are about simply shooting at thieves. An unattended property with traps could easily cause injury or death to a small child that has escaped their parents for instance.
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                      A blunt word is in order. Depending on state and local laws are usually more harsh about booby traps than they are about simply shooting at thieves. An unattended property with traps could easily cause injury or death to a small child that has escaped their parents for instance.
                      I'll have to ask my mom what the nephew added, most likely its something that would make someone crap themselves in fear rather than injure someone/

Comment

planned violence is looked down on

Comment

Redneck Scarecrow!

High powered motion sensor light wired to a metal box fan with a smashed beer can in the fan blades (think playing card in bicycle spokes).

Comment

Mmmmm think the racking action of a 12 Gauge pump shotgun eek

Comment

I found out that my nephew used some fishing line and made trip wires, he was there yesterday and found that someone had gotten twisted up in them, he also made it where my mom can lock the coop.
                              My mom meantioned adding a few "No Trespassing" signs around the field and I suggested that they be in English and Spanish along with the warning that trespassers will be shot, Maybe that will help a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X