When a ranch kid lives in town.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a ranch kid lives in town.

I have been thinking of starting my own thread for awhile to show some of the projects we have going and our attempt at self sufficiency, even though we live in town on a small lot. I think even town dwellers should take steps to feed themselves. So anyhow here it is, I will try to get some posts in the next few days.

Today was potato digging day out in the community near my dads ranch. One of the neighbors plants a bunch of potatoes. Think like 3-400 foot rows. Then they run a really old potato digger down the rows and you walk along and pick up the spuds. Its fun and good to get the community together. Many of them thinking aloud about the possibility of only having potatoes to eat. Then there is a big pot luck style lunch and talking. Its a great deal. Then everyone goes home with at least 100 lbs of tators.

They have been planting the same potatoes for decades, using last years potatoes as seed for the next year. The original variety was called Pontiac, but I think the potatoes have changed to adapt to be perfect for this soil, rainfall, ect. These are dryland potatoes, which in Wyoming is a big deal.
    Attached Files

Comment

Heres a pic of dad's house from the tator dig site, gives you an idea of the country and then a pic of KidEl (previously known as baby E...but shes not a baby anymore)

Comment

That takes me back to my childhood. Taters were one of our cash crops. Spent some time grubbing them out of the dirt. Nothing smells like a rotten potato.
        "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

DoubleL, this was a great idea and I'm glad you did it. Not everyone gets to live out in the country, but that doesn't mean they can't work on being more self sufficient. When friends, family and neighbors come together for events like this, it always seems like the work goes faster and the food tastes better. Working together to share the load was how communities used to get by. The people who think they will be some sort of lone wolf in a SHTF scenario are in for a very rude awakening and they will have a very redundant and boring menu.

Please continue on with this thread and let us know what is going on.

Tex
          = 2
          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Cool thread, keep it up.
            I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Thanks, I am pretty excited about this. Tomorrow I will be picking tomatoes and green beans from my garden and canning, hoping to get pics of that.

Comment

That is awesome MA! I plan to turn more of my yard into food production....lawn is such a waste!

Comment

Laura - Glad you finally got your thread going!
                  Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

I'm a displaced 'ranch kid' too...

1 garden space 3x25, 1 space 10 x 20 & 1 that is 8 x 15 or so. Could dig up lots more if needed!

Comment

This is a bit of my garden. I have 21 tomato plants and have put up 24 pints crushed tomatoes, 8-4oz jars of ketchup, 6 pints of salsa, 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce, plus all the tomatoes we could eat.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I planted raspberries in this spring and they have done very well. As soon as KidEl gets out the door she heads straight for them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I miss BabyE!
                          Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

How in the world do you get your plants to grow upside down? Yeah... I have camera problems now and then, too.

Love the community potato field! Darn, wish I had a tractor...
                            Dode

Comment

Lol. They are easier to harvest upside down. This site and my ipad fight often....

Comment

Working...
                              X