Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myakka

Howdy all,

Tex invited me in, so if you know me from somewhere else and groaned when you saw my name, then blame him

I was raised on a self reliant farm till my tweens, and have been involved in disaster response as a volunteer and paid since hurricane hugo in 1989.

All of my responses to emergencies has left me with some opinions and insights into prepping, but also with the understanding that I don't know it all.

I have already seen a lot of familiar names here, and I will go out on a limb and say I know you have a good group, and will be happy if I can find my place in
    it.

Thanks!
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Welcome from southern New Mexico. Tex is our designated recruiter. We look forward to your insights.
    Have you read the Going Home series?
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome Myakka. Got any HAM radio experience ?

Comment

Welcome Myakka. Got any HAM radio experience ?

FEMA, Red Cross or CERT?

Comment

I have not read this book series. Since it seems to be the core theme though I feel like I should.

Yes, AD, I am a HAM, but I am not an expert's expert honestly. Our agency radios actually use part of the HAM band, and I have worked on some of them from time to time though. So I will offer any information I can on the subject, but will defer to the guys who live it and breathe it.
          "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

Several of us here are Hams. I am an Amateur Extra.
            Kick
            WL
            UN
            And there are more that I forgot.

Also the ham section of this forum is over at www.preparedham.com its a site that I run.

Comment

I just saw the lower half of your question,

I teach most of the basic ICS classes that the CERT training is based on. I don't work for FEMA, but have responded to hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, wildfires and prolly other stuff it I think about it. The "team" that runs these incidents is called an IMT (incident management team) and I am qualified to work in tons of positions on these teams including a couple highly specialized jobs that are incident specific.

www.preparedham.com Cool, I will check it out.

Comment

Welcome
                When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Hey myakka!

Comment

Welcome to the boards..
                    Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

welcome to the board, another ham on board isn't a bad thing

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

welcome aboard
                          Sometimes I question my sanity but the unicorn and gummy bears told me I am fine

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to board Myakka, look forward to having your experience around here.
                              I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Working...
                              X