Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a GHB for K and need suggestions from the crew.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a GHB for K and need suggestions from the crew.

I am building a GHB for my wife and need suggestions on what to include.

I got her a http://www.511tactical.com/rush-12-backpack.html from DVOR for $99 and got a $40 credit so final price was $60.

We saw this at a prepper event and she just wanted to buy it but I said we would build one

She doesnt work and only travel to DR appts and other local places. Probably 30 miles at the most.

Its in the PHX area so during the summer its all city and HOT. Winter all city and 70 ish degrees

So looking for suggestion.

K stats:

4ft 11 in
    100 lbs.
    recovering from a long illness(10 years) and is just now started working out with a trainer.
    Restrictive diet, no sugar, dairy, gluten.....

Here are details on the pack
    PURPOSE BUILT
    The RUSH 12 Backpack is a high performance multipurpose bag that fills multiple roles, from a tactical assault pack to a hunting backpack to an emergency go-bag. 16 total compartments provide a wide range of storage options, each one sized for a specific use. Additional features on the RUSH 12 backpack include an internal admin panel for organizing small accessories, a 60 oz. hydration pocket that keeps you on the move, and a fleece-lined sunglass pocket that protects your eyewear. An extensive wrap-around web platform is MOLLE and SlickStick System™ compatible, allowing you to customize your storage to suit your needs. The RUSH backpack offers external compression straps, adjustable shoulder straps, and a centered sternum strap to ensure stability, and water resistant construction to keep your gear dry and secure in any climate.

OVERVIEW:
    High performance, multipurpose backpack
    16 individual compartments
    Roomy main storage area
    Hydration pocket
    Wrap-around MOLLE/SlickStick web platform
    Internal multi-slot admin compartment
    Zippered fleece-lined eyewear pocket
    Hook and loop nametape and flag patches

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Water-resistant 1050D nylon
    18" x 11" x 6.5" main compartment
    1296 cubic inch / 21.2 liter capacity
    Adjustable height sternum strap
    Two external compression straps
    Contoured yoke shoulder strap system
    Self-repairing YKK® zippers
    Glove-friendly pull tabs
    Last edited by AD; 09-07-2014, 10:31 AM.

I'm guessing that there is supposed to be another link to a premade Going Home Bag? Just don't spend so much time planning that you fail to get anything done.

Obviously, water, food, shelter, protection, first-aid, comms, comfort- pretty much in that order.

Since we don't know her size or fitness level, and I'm not dumb enough to ask, it would be easy for us to overload her.

How far from home is work? Distance to her furthest local friend / boyfriend / gym, etc that she is likely to be at on any given day? Availability of fresh water sources? Comfort/training level with firearms?
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Kick. Reread the post above now.

On the water front Its Phoenix for christ sake. You have to ask that

Comment

Dude, you edited your post while I was typing.

Ok, let's break it down. 30 miles, could take 3 days, barring anything catastrophic (twisted ankle, etc). Especially since there is a restrictive diet, and in the city, I might re-order to water, food, protection, first aid/needed meds, comms, shelter, comfort.

I am including a good knife in the protection category. I have moved shelter way down on the list since it is all city, I would imagine that there would be some sort of building that she could duck into if needed. I am including a mess kit and means of fire in "food".

Even though there aren't any rivers, streams, ponds, etc, I would still recommend a water filter and purification method. It is unlikely that she could carry all the water needed for 3 days, so being able to utilize available sources, such as puddles, etc if needed.

I am going to assume that she is proficient with a firearm, so we will leave that alone, other than to remind of weight vs power considerations.

By now, we are already probably getting close to max weight.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

I have to post then go get material then come back and edit post more cuz i use an ipad. If I switch windows, it loses everything if the box has not auto saved.

Comment

First things I would suggest is a hydration pack system a a purification drinking straw. One of the first things I bought was a radio similar to the one described in the Morgans Pack description on the home page. Paracord, a good knife and a way to fuse the cut ends is a gotta have along with a tarp for shelter. For 3 days, a Sierra cup and flame tab stove would help keep weight down. The heaviest thing, outside of water is food. I wouldn't even venture a guess on what her needs are. Oatmeal, rice, stripped down mres, honey, olive oil, and bullion cubes are in my kit but I don't know how that would work with her special dietary needs. Compass, knife, bic lighter would be good to have.
            First aid kit-band aids of various sizes, quick clott, Israeli tourniquet, and Israeli bandage, ibuprofen, sunscreen, bug repellant, medical shears, neosporin, benydril, am Imodium.
            Just a start and may be tool heavy
            Last edited by Concerned Dad; 09-07-2014, 11:39 AM. Reason: Darn autocorrect

Comment

You'll notice that comms is there. My main point there is to be able to contact you. I would imagine that a small HT will be helpful here. No need for that FT857D.

If she is still able to add more, I would add under garmets & socks next.

If there's still wiggle room, add more water & food.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

The first thing I did when planning my ghb, was to actually pack a bag and go for a walk, so that I had some estimate in how far I could walk in a day. And how much weight I could actually manage. Based on that and the fact that I will most likely be packing baby E (25 pounds) I try to keep my pack at 30 pounds. This limits my range. The contents of the bag would allow baby E and I three days. And I believe we could get between 15-20 miles a day, so baby E and I try not to venture farther than 45 miles from home, solo. Sorry rambling.

I think for her size and condition a 20-30 pound pack would be the most she could hope for, but at that weight should get her 30 miles home. In Phoenix having enough water packed for 30 miles is important, and will take up a lot of the weight and she may not encounter a source that is safe to replenish. 1 liter is 2.2ish pounds. So if she can make 15 miles a day she would need two days of water. That's a big chunk of her ghb weight.

To that I would only add bare essentials, jerky, and other quick consumables, she will only be on the road 2 days. I wouldn't add any food she would have to use water to consume (freeze dried food). I would buy her a super light hiking sleeping bag and a sub compact firearm, and basically that is it as far as weight goes. Perhaps bear spray....

Comment

First off she is not an outdoors type.

CD
                  Every thing for food you mentioned makes her sick except honey and olive oil.

She has a P22 but is just now learning how to use it.

Kick
                  I just bought 2 of these and although she is not a ham, will will set it up for simplex on the default channel and then a series of local repeaters.

In a SHTF conditions I would not worry about her on a ham channel except the repeaters will be jammed anyway. BUT the local ham community could be a big help to her if she can contact them.

Comment

What can she eat?

Comment

Think Paleo diet

Comment

Think paleo diet free of chemicals and preservatives

Eat whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense, nourishing foods. Prioritize grass fed and pastured meats and eggs, wild-caught seafood, and vegetables. Enjoy fruit, nuts, and seeds in moderation.

Avoid foods that will harm us by causing systemic inflammation, wrecking our guts, or derailing our natural metabolic processes. Abstain from toxic, pro-inflammatory foods like gluten-containing grains, legumes, sugar, and the laboratory-concocted Frankenfoods found in the middle aisles of your neighborhood supermarket.

Comment

AD I would make sure that the cars that she would be driving would have extra supplies in them, ie, walking shoes, cargo pants, water etc, so that she could "shop" from her trunk and change depending on circumstances. Also, sit with her and look at her general areas of travel and pick out "safe" locations that she could head to on her way home. She is small and vulnerable so you might scout out some areas she could shelter in if she couldn't get home or until you could get to her. That way you both would know where to find each other.
                          Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

I agree with DMH...I typically have 3 to 4 times the weight that I could carry in the car. That way, should the need arise, I have options that I wouldn't if I only kept what I could carry.
                            That being said, don't forget that a carrying a GHB in the car can be a REAL PITA. It's always in the way. I don't know what she drives, but in my Tucson, if it's in the back end, its in the way when we go shopping. If I move it to the back seats, it never fails that I need to haul some people around. At least to start with, keep it fairly small so that she will get used to having it with her, and she won't leave it in the garage.
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

How about dehydrating some of that beef and veggies?
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                              X