Ultralight backpacking tents for your bug out bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultralight backpacking tents for your bug out bag

So I've been researching this for quite a while. Tent technology has improved immensely in the past 10 years so there's no reason really to just stay with a tarp and emergency blanket for your shelter in a bug out bag.

I did a ton of research and came up with several tents that are small enough and light enough to compete with a tarp and hammock or a bivvy and tarp, and are much better overall. They're perfect for old people like AD.

Obviously they're a little more expensive, and the better ones are a lot more expensive but that's to be expected (I do talk about them too though). They do provide better protection and more comfortable living though.

If you're looking for a tent that you can actually carry on, or sometimes even in your bug out bag, check out

9 ultralight backpacking tents for hiking or your bug out bag

What do you guys use in your bug out bag as a shelter? Have you ever weighed it? You might be surprised at what you could step up to with a little research.
    Last edited by Graywolf; 08-06-2014, 02:03 AM.

I've seen recommendations on several of those, but mostly just by the people paid to write them. I liked your reviews.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I cut out about 30 tents that could have made the cut but had different problems here or there. Unfortunately, none of those companies paid me anything but I'd like to get that hilleberg tent sent to me (if any hilleberg people are reading this). Although, I've been known to write not-so-good reviews on things that people have sent me before. I doubt that would be the case there though.

Comment

Looking at all of the tents listed, Amazon only showed two of them with the rain fly on them. That is something very important that most people don't think about. Many tent makers will put a rainfly on that comes down too close to the ground and if you are camped in tall grass you won't get near enough circulation between the rainfly and the tent. This will cause condensation inside the tent and in alot of cases it can be fairly heavy. Both of the tents in the list that did have a rainfly on in the pics would probably be good candidates for the heavy condensation in certain scenarios.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Yeah, I really wanted to get into condensation, heat retention, and a bunch of other things but it's hard enough to get people to read a 9000 word post as it is. Very few inexpensive tents are good at condensation. I tried to give enough external references in them to allow people to research as deeply as they wanted to though.

Comment

I like the review. Having used rei for so long, I have a two person by them that has been good. It has also been affordable.

I think it is called the half dome. The latest has some changes that look good, but mine is still going, so I will keep it a while longer. Dual doors, dual vestibules, and enough room for two adults and an 80 pound lab. It is cramped that way, but it beats carrying the next one up.

Tex, your pont about condensation is big. Venting in the fly will help. Some fly's can be extended or rolled up. In my case, a portion of the vestibule door can be left open even in a storm. The problem is balancing 3 season use age with heat retention, with ventilation, with co sensation management. If I am not expecting rain, I will leave the fly off or hang it more like a tarp.

Comment

And that's the tough part about giving people a several choices and not going into intimate detail. There are so many things that you could talk about that would help but you have to balance explaining things in detail with explaining things people will read and then take action with. A full explanation would require a large ebook.

Comment

It would, and the reason there are so many choices is that everyone has a different opinion on what works, different environments for which they are needed, and different priorities.

Honestly, no matter how many reviews I have read, I have to take a leap of faith when buying a piece of gear. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I agree with reviews after using gear, other times I wonder if we are talking about the same piece of gear.

Comment

The tent I used for hundreds of days in my youth was the Euraka Timberline 2 tent. Bullet proof design, a little over 5.7 lbs and has a vestibule option, which i used. http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-2-tent

The key to any tent is seam sealing!!!!! I dont know if the Seam Grip today is the same I used in the past but the rule is to erect the tent and then from the inside coat every seam on the tent. When complete domthe same thing on the outside of the tent and the fly/vestibule. http://www.rei.com/product/603034/ge...ip-seam-sealer

I have been in Havasupi when it rain for 6 days straight and the creek flooded chasing us to higher ground each day. You could not walk out cuz of the flooding in the wash that you have to go down to get in there. http://havasupaifalls.net/waterfalls.html

There were 3 of us, a friend and his girlfriend. Same exact Timberline tent only difference was mine was seam sealed and his was not. The rain water was litterly flowing under the tents. Their bags were soaked and mine was bone dry. So i slept during the night and they slept during the day in the only dry sleeping bag between us. Goretex and a tarp kept me dry during the day.
                  Last edited by AD; 08-06-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

You can rent tents at REI as well. Dont know what models they have but thats a way to test before you buy.

Comment

AD, Eureka has changed a lot, kinda like Coleman. It is a shame, they used to have really top notch products.

Comment

Working...
                      X