Mushrooms, no kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushrooms, no kit

There are grow-your-own mushroom kits on the retail market, by why buy new, what you can easily find around most preppers?

First step, a sturdy box. Really sturdy. Most cardboard boxes will do if they aren't abused, and maybe have a bit of duct tape reinforcement.

Plastic liner, trash bag, plastic drop sheet, repurpose an old shower curtain that you're tired of, if there's no holes (may want to throw it in the washer and get rid of any leftover soap and shampoo.) Line box with it, maybe even trim and tape down the edges.

Now the hard part, what does your preferred mushroom actually eat? Many aren't picky, but most do well in the right medium, usually composted manure. You start by microwaving it in small batches, to make sure nothing else is in there that lives to grow. Not sure how long, I'm sure the oven would work, but probably destroy more of what makes mushrooms happy. When it cools, place the sterilized compost into the plastic-lined box.

Next, you want to put back some of the moisture lost when you were zapping that stuff. Just a little at a time, probably easier to do with a spray bottle as you put the small amounts into the box. It needs to be moist like healthy soil, not sloppy like a mud pie.

If your mushroom breed needs certain things, like decaying pine needles, decaying oak branches, etc, add those at whatever depth works for the mushrooms. Research is your friend.

Leave the top of everything 3 or 4" below the top of the box, you'll make a lid soon. If you're growing things that are best cut at 5 or 6" tall, then make sure you have that much space, they shouldn't have to push the lid up to get your attention.

Now you want a few sacrificial mushrooms, fresh, and just barely at the point that it's ready to release spores. You want those spores all over the top your growing medium (the stuff in the box.) Chop the mushrooms fine and make sure every bit of any powdery remains get in there. Spritz some more water, and make it nice and moist.

Next, make a lid to fit, ventilate the lid nicely - punch holes with a big nail maybe. Cover your project box and find a spot where it will be comfy, even a little cool. The decay happening in the compost will increase the heat. Check frequently to make sure the moisture and temperature are ok. Should be warmer than the fridge, wetter than my front yard, and for that matter, a good bit cooler than my front yard - so 65-80ish degrees Fahrenheit.
    Last edited by W.Lynn; 05-20-2014, 06:35 PM. Reason: You're on your own for recipes, there are too many to list.
    quam minimum credula postero

It's posted, anyone who can't live without fresh mushrooms should give it a try. Considering the RP likes the bedroom a/c pretty low, and light conditions near cave-like (yes, I make caveman/cave-dwelling jokes frequently,) I might try setting a small grow-box on top of the dog crate and try growing something that usually gets shipped in from cooler, wetter places.

Comment

I just bought a book on editable wild mushrooms. I think foraging could be fun and important to learn

Comment

Originally posted by Racksheets View Post
        I just bought a book on editable wild mushrooms. I think foraging could be fun and important to learn
        And potentially deadly. Go out with an expert or it could be your last trip.

Comment

Older thread I know, but I wish I knew more about growing simple button mushrooms and where to find "fresh" shrooms ready to release their spoors. Sometimes I need step-by-step instructions and then it can still be difficult for me. I've tried looking up "how to" on Google, but I guess I'm just too stupid.
          Kessler
          I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
          INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

Kessler, fresh 'shrooms are at the grocery store. Go to the big box of loose ones, and look at the underneath sides, where the lowest bit of the cap covers the immature "gills." A it matures, the cap starts to pull away from the stem, exposing the gills and allows the spores to fall. You don't want them wide open, just about a quarter to halfway. When they're all the way open for a while, the spores are gone and the gills start breaking down.

If they land somewhere moist enough and decently above freezing without being too hot, more mushrooms happen.

Comment

Kessler My father In Law was a big wild shroom picker when he was alive. He only picked button heads and sheep heads. His hot spots were always on the shady damp side of cow pastures. He would scoop up areas of dirt in his hot spots and bring them home to his patch at home. That was mostly manure in the shade and kept damp. There were enough spores in that dirt to grow new shrooms.. I personally don't know whats safe and whats not so I don't mess with them and I don't like eating them anyways.

Comment

PS, never trust the rainbow family. They for some reason always pick the wrong type.
                You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

You can buy the spawn (spores in a medium) online. Some informative sites I stumbled on using Start Page search for 'mushroom spawn'. Saw some that offer classes, too!

Good luck and keep us posted.
                  Kelly

P.S: Don't use google - they're the Borg.

Comment

We pick lots of mushrooms in the spring and early summer. Mostly Morels and Coral mushrooms. When the pickin is really good we dehydrate them. They will last for years in a glass or plastic jar.

Comment

Can you grow button mushrooms in rabbit manure? And, if you can, would you mix it with anything or use it straight and would you have to use fresh manure or older composted manure?
                      Kessler
                      I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
                      INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

Never had rabbits yet, so I haven't tried growing anything in rabbit leavings.

Comment

Working...
                        X