Need advice on headlamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on headlamp

I'd like to add headlamps to my stores. Any advice on a good solid brand? don't wanna blow the bank but I don't mind playing a decent price an I'd like it to be sturdy and well made.
    I'm a headlamp virgin and I need them for peace of mind. Plan to keep one if the vehicles as well
    Not Dead in the Heart of Dixie - Kapper Hill Compound Series, Book I
    Author Website

I have used them for years. I got started using them for coonhunting and they are very handy to have around. I suspect that you are talking about something alot lighter than what I am though.

Mine is a 12V Cajun brand light and I also have a cordless 12V handheld spotlight to go with it. Both of them hold a charge very well and will throw a light way out there.

I went ahead and got the links for you. You can change the style of cap for the headlamp, or you can hang it over your shoulder. The weight for the headlamp and battery is less than a pound and closer to a half pound, if I recall correctly. They cost mosre than some others, but they will last years longer than other types while giving alot of light. They can also be turned down, thus saving the charge while giving plenty of light. we use ours for checking the cows at night as well as predator hunting.

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Cajun Lights by Cajun Outdoors is the maker of premier hunting lights, marine lights and apparel.

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Cajun Lights by Cajun Outdoors is the maker of premier hunting lights, marine lights and apparel.

Tex
    Last edited by Tex; 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM. Reason: Found the links
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I am on the "go light" side of things with long battery life of a LED based system.

I like both Princeton Tec and Petzl brands and have both.

Then again I have IR ones for using night vision devices as well. YMMV

Comment

I have a few cheap ones, but I only get them if they have three settings. The wider, softer light is for most purposes, the close in, more focused, bright spot for doing first aid or other things that need well-lit, and a red setting for not blinding myself if I'm adjusting a telescope or looking at a star chart.
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Cordless WHEAT

The highly acclaimed LI-6000 LED Cordless caplamp is one of the brightest in the market. It weighs only 5 oz, but there is plenty of light output packed into this MSHA approved unit. The run time of 12-14 hours on a 5 hour charge can be accomplished by existing Koehler infrastructure as well as single unit and 50 unit chargers specifically designed for the LI-6000.
          Koehler makes these everything is in the head lamp . This is what the coal mines are going to. Take it from someone that had the old 5 pound wheat battery on his hip and the cord snagging on the roof bolts all day this is one big improvement. but being for the mining industry they wont be cheap

Comment

I just bought two "Varta Indestructible 1W headlamps" $15.00 each , one lamp for each bugout bag , not sure if the brand is available over there but great value and not a bad light to boot, Ive had a lot more expensive and no where as good

Comment

Gonna check these out. I'd like the lighter ones as well. Thanks for the info!!
              Not Dead in the Heart of Dixie - Kapper Hill Compound Series, Book I
              Author Website

Comment

Hell, I've had a couple energizer ones for years and they work fine. 3 white light settings, 1 red. $10 or less at any hardware store.
                Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

Originally posted by RobinKay View Post
                  Gonna check these out. I'd like the lighter ones as well. Thanks for the info!!
                  I've been shopping around and trying out samples to replace the headlamps on our technical rescue helmets (confined space, water, collapse, etc) and the Petzl Pixa 2 is the one we've decided on; light weight, AAA's, w/ two intensity settings.

In all honesty Petzl's are a standard for the rescue industry - but I don't like their durability - I've had to replace them too often when they break... and because of their fragility it's sop and an absolute necessity to have a handheld light source as backup.

Dewalt has a nice headlamp based on AA's that is very durable that I've decided to buy for my home prep's.
                  Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for DEWALT DWHT70440 104 Lumens Jobsite LED Headlamp Water Resistant at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

The light just seems sturdier to me (time will tell as I use it), it uses AA's which I'm trying to make standard throughout my preps (except for the CR123's), and the cost make this a better choice for me personally.
                  'All it takes for evil to succeed, is for good men to do nothing.'

Comment

Dont know anything about this light, but I thought I would pass it along

Comment

I have found that cheap headlamps are usually heavier, locating the energy source behind the headlamp itself. For extended use comfort I prefer the energy source located on the back of the band (at your 6). LED lights are the only thing worth purchasing when it comes to longevity (light output from battery longevity as well as LED life).

However, I was intrigued by the Surefire Minimus Tactical LED headlamp and purchased one a couple of months back. It is light in weight, uses qty. 1, 123a battery (located right behind the light), and comes with red, blue and green tinted shades.

Since we regularly use headlamps on our little farm while feeding the livestock at night along with performing various other mundane chores I have found that the cheaper headlamps are pretty much useless junk which are heavy, will not last, don't provide worthwhile lighting and are literally a pain to wear. So, we have found that you pretty much get what you pay for in headlamps.

Comment

bumping the thread, I like Energizer head lamps. i have had a few different kinds. i did not the one Petzel that i had. the light color was horrible. I have a Black Diamond Icon, it's kinda big and bulky. but it has a decent throw.

i like the Energizers because they are cheap for what you get. different light output settings, red/white settings, and a pretty solid build without a lot weight. the oldest one i have has been wrapped around my truck visor now for 7 years, and i have only changed the batteries once. i use it as a map light, mostly. i have 3 of these...

the best part of these is that you can turn on the red led's without having to cycle through the white led's first. the color of the white led's is not bad, and can be dimmed so that if you are working with something real close, you are not blinding yourself. they are not they brightest headlamps out there, but they are bright enough to get everyday chores done. i paid about $25.00 a piece for them. well worth it, in my opinion.

Comment

May not be the best one out there, and most certainly isn't the least heavy option, but the coast brand series you can get at lowes or amazon has some great options. We process quite a few deer during the season for ourselves as well as other folks that don't quite get the concepts. I ran this one last year and it did wonderfully. Has a dimmer switch to control both the brightness and the beams throw. Picked it up on sale for $29 shipped - 196 lumens of goodness.

Comment

Working...
                          X