Mini Carrington Event hits Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Carrington Event hits Australia

Only just caught up with the news from my home state (we are travelling)
    look what I missed out on

Thousands of Victorians were still without electricity this evening after dozens of power pole fires across Melbourne. About 10,000 customers in the city's north had no electricity this afternoon, and about 8,000 in the city's east. Power companies said they had called in extra crews to speed up repairs.

Good catch there GB..

"Believe me! That is good thing. Only a few dozen pole transformers burst into flames in Australia."

Comment

Only a few dozen? Imagine the uproar if this "mini" event were five times the size, would that make it a small? Would the media and power companies get their heads out of where the sun don't shine after one that's considerably bigger?
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I am looking at it as the transformers acted sorta like a fuse in a circuit. They got overloaded and then burned. If that hadn't happened and the increased charge was carried on down the line, then more and worse damage would have resulted.

Am I looking at this in the correct light?

Regardless, it is a pretty spooky scenario. A couple years ago when solar flares knocked out the cell towers in this area it opened my eyes to some things and really got me started thinking. Everything I have been hearing and reading has all said that we are in a cycle of increased solar activity and will be for the next few years. I have also read that solar activity and "sun spots" has more to do with our climate and the change of climate that any other factor.

This is a very interesting story and should be garnering alot more attention than what it has.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Thats why Tex got his HAM ticket..... Oh wait......

Comment

Tex congrats on getting you Ham license ....... OH well ummmm
            The transformers have a fuse at the input to the transformer .
            The fuse protects against over current ,not over voltage .
            The induced over voltage breaks down the insulation of the windings causing
            a short circuit along with heat build ,up producing Fire.
            Add this to the ways to make fire .
            DD
            OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Originally posted by dangerdan View Post
              Add this to the ways to make fire .
              DD
              Yeah, but just try practicing. It's the sort of thing guaranteed to bring someone along to put a stop to my fun.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
              X