Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howz It from South Africa!

Good day all,
    My name here like on other sites is Soutie Prepper, Same name used on Gunsite.co.za and Survival Boards.
    I'm from England and have been living in South Africa for the last 2 years.
    Been into prepping for a few years but only really started about a year ago so as you will all know I face the same stuff you guys do every day when you just starting out. (Mainly budget issues and the regular telling's off from the Fiance'!)

Prepping has recently taken a back seat as we (me and my fiance') are concentrating on getting her a firearm and starting with club shoots etc...
    Not to mention I'm starting my own company in July so saving as much as I can, As you all know one of the most important things is to be financially independent.

I came looking for this site once I had finished book 3 of the Going Home Series.
    My compliments to A. American! They were all great reads, very informative and to be honest I'm just counting down the days till book 4 is released. Thank you for the teaser!
    I had to order all 3 books to my families house in England before Christmas so when I visited for the holidays I was so happy to finally get them. Safe to say they were finished by the second week of Jan.

Last year I read all the JWR books (Apart from Expatriates) and believe me, The Going Home series is much better. Tbh I prefer to read these days as The Walking Dead is so few and far between, I've watched Jericho a million times and every other show that either gets cancelled or the low budget movies that are just not that great.. With Going Home, it captivates your imagination.

So, that's a bit about me. I'll look forward to talking to all of you in the future but for now I have work to do! ;-)

And to Mr AA, Thank you. Thank you for taking the time to write these awesome books.
    It's inspirational.

Soutie,

Welcome to the board Soutie. We are glad you were able to get the books and then find this site. Quite a few of us have been with AA since he first started the books and others have joined up along the way. As you will see, this siite tries to cover all of the different prepping related topics and interests. We aren't as big as some of the boards, but I would like to think our quality is a bit better. We don't have the trolls and know-it-alls like alot of boards. Everyone here has a genuine interest in learning and trying to help each other out as best we can. Nobody can be prepared for everything, but we are all doing our best to get as prepared as we can be.

Take a look around and see what you think. Don't hesitate to jump right into a conversation or start your own. If you have a topic that interests you, let's hear about it. We will try our best to help you out as much as we can and I am sure there will be quite a few who will havequestions for you too. Let us know what you think.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

As Tex said, Welcome! It's good to hear that the books are making it to the international community, since we are all inter-connected. When the collapse comes, its unlikely to be localized. We look forward to your views on some issues that we might overlook.
      Kickstand
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome to the board .
        Lots of information her along with great people .
        DD
        OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Welcome from me too. Don't be shy.
          I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Welcome Soutie. Glad to have you on board.

Comment

Glad you found the board Soutie and it's good to have you here. I'm really glad you enjoyed the books, that's just great. One of our other members here Unseenone does quite a lot of business in SA, i's good you're starting your own enterprise, it's good not having to depend on a job. What sort of business are you going into?

Welcome aboard, feel free to jump in anywhere.
              I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Welcome Soutie;

Glad you made it to the forums. I had the opportunity to visit South Africa and I loved it. I've got some friend & business associates there, what part of SA are you in. One of my friends had a visit here in Nov, and he carried three books back with him as well.

Glad to have you here, enjoy.

Comment

Welcome Soutie! I would be interested to know what made you decide to start prepping in the first place? Also is prepping something that is catching on where you are? Does your government think that it's a bad or a good thing? Ok sorry enough questions...for now. Welcome to the site, between all of us there aren't many questions we can't answer. We are also always looking for new ideas, tips, tricks or techniques so feel free to share. Most of all have fun.

Comment

Welcome to the boards.... Glad to have ya!!!
                    Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

Welcome Soutie! Glad you found the board, looking forward to exchanging ideas with you.
                      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Welcome Soutie, the books have been an interesting read. There's always something to find, when you have a wait before the next of a series comes out. Sometimes Amazon or Barnes & Noble will have something good for a free download, almost any free reader program will also.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Welcome to the board!

Come to America, we won't eat you when SHTF like the warlords will there...
                          Last edited by MillenniumMan; 02-12-2014, 07:39 AM.
                          You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                          Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Welcome. I'm a new guy as well. Lot's of good info here!

Comment

Originally posted by angeryamerican View Post
                              Glad you found the board Soutie and it's good to have you here. I'm really glad you enjoyed the books, that's just great. One of our other members here Unseenone does quite a lot of business in SA, i's good you're starting your own enterprise, it's good not having to depend on a job. What sort of business are you going into?

Welcome aboard, feel free to jump in anywhere.
                              Goood evening all, Thank you very much for all the kind replies. Sorry its taken so long to reply, work has been quite hectic recently.
                              AA, I loved the books and I've already lent a buddy book one, he cant wait till I give him 2 and 3!
                              The reason I love the books so much they are realistic as in terms of Morgans prep levels, He's not a doomsday prepper with an over stocked bunker and he's not one of these bush survivalist's that thinks he can go out and survive in the woods. It's a nice middle ground. We as the reader can relate to all the characters which is what a book should to do and sarge, well sarge is just hillerious! I thank you for actually letting your charcters be normal people, they swear and drink and smoke and talk about sex. Its great that you dont go off on huge rambles about religion. Honestly, these are just some of the reasons of why I am a huge fan.

To answer your question, Im setting up a pool cleaning company. I plan on calling it Pool Pirates! Mainly so I can go to work in shorts every days, put my piercings back in and show my tattoos! Not to mention the awesome branding we're designing.
                              But yeah, the whole point is to be financially independent and help me on my way to being more self sufficient.

Once again, thank you for the books.

Originally posted by unseenone View Post
                              Welcome Soutie;

Glad you made it to the forums. I had the opportunity to visit South Africa and I loved it. I've got some friend & business associates there, what part of SA are you in. One of my friends had a visit here in Nov, and he carried three books back with him as well.

Glad to have you here, enjoy.
                              Unseenone, I live on the East Rand of Jo'burg. Not too far from OR Tambo.
                              What did you think of SA when you were here? Its a great country, much better than England but hands down I'd rather be in America.

Originally posted by JulieNY View Post
                              Welcome Soutie! I would be interested to know what made you decide to start prepping in the first place? Also is prepping something that is catching on where you are? Does your government think that it's a bad or a good thing? Ok sorry enough questions...for now. Welcome to the site, between all of us there aren't many questions we can't answer. We are also always looking for new ideas, tips, tricks or techniques so feel free to share. Most of all have fun.
                              Hi JulieNY, Thanks for the message and wow! Long story with regards to what got me started in prepping but I think it stems from a conspiricy back ground and a great distruss in the Government. The hype of 2012 and what was going on with Anonymous is what got me on the net researching back in 2011/2012. I remember being at a friends house, we were watching Anon vids on you tube and they were all quite excited thinking these guys could bring down the government... I stood up and went in to my mates kitchen and checked his fridge and cupboards, I then walked back into the living room and said "If this Sh** actually happens how the Fu** do you expect to survive???" They were like errr we'll go to the shop!!???? That done it for me, I started there and then.

Secondly, no prepping is not something that is catching on here, some have seen the shows and just think crazy americans. Other know friends and family that had loads of guns, ammo and food stocked back in 1994 when Mandela took over. As nothing bad innitially happened they think these people were crazy for preparing.
                              But on the flip side, alot of people are preppers with out knowing it. Hunting, camping, 4x4 overlanding, sport and self defense shooting are the hobbies of a lot of people. When you have enough gear and practise at things like that your better prepared than most.
                              Things are getting tense here now with the growth of the EFF before elections.

The government is abit more concerned with lining their back pockets and spending fortunes on lavish restaurants and expensive cars than to worry about the public but no, they do not like the idea of people (especially white people) prepping. To do so would easily get you labled as a extreemist AWB member.
                              Unfortunately race is a huge factor here and influences everything in daily life.... BUT compared to the UK, Here I am free.

Originally posted by MillenniumMan View Post
                              Welcome to the board!

Come to America, we won't eat you when SHTF like the warlords will there...
                              HA! MM, I've dreamed of living in a America for as long as I remember.
                              I believe in the constitution more than most Americans and reaslise that it was set up to escape the tyranny of the crown at the time.
                              I would most certainly be a tea party member, pro-guns and pro-second amendment. I am the last person that Obama wants in the country!
                              If how ever you fancy sponsering me for a fairly well paid job I'll happily move the fiance' and cats over in a heartbeat!

But your right, its quite hard to prep when majority of the country lives below the poverty line, survive off nothing and many turn to crime...
                              Not to mention the amount of illegle weapons and out right racist black groups that dont like the whiteys.. Its a whole new ball game.

I do plan on starting my book towards the end of the year, a novel based on my experience here and what I think survival may actually be like here in South Africa.
                              Hopefully I can start bouncing ideas off you guys early next year.

Once again, thank you for the messages and I will reply as soon as I can!
                              p.s Sorry for the spelling mistakes, Auto-correct isnt working?

Comment

Working...
                              X