What do you guys think of this water filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of this water filter

The HyperFlow micro filter utilizes the latest Hollow Fiber Technology and our most advanced engineering to make water treatment so small and so easy to use,...

Looks pretty cool and easy to use, but they didn't really say anything about how much it filters out.
    Is it just good for mostly clean water?
    Will it clean up some fairly dirty water?

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

If I were using a small filter like that, then straining out as much nonsense as possible through a piece of fabric, or letting water stand so that muck settles and floating debris can be skimmed off, will mean getting so much less in your filter.

I hope to get berkey filters, with the added after-filters that get fluoride, arsenic, and trace metals out of the water.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

As far as survival mode goes, I wanted something that would last a long time. Therefore I went with the Katadyn pocket series. I got one for the GHB and one for the prep storage the following year. I also got a spare parts kit, and a spare filter. http://shop.katadyn.com/product/1535...Katadyn_Pocket

These can be had for quite a bit less, if you decide to go with one of these, I'll find you a couple places to check with for deals.

The classic. This robust water filter made of heavy duty materials is ideal for long lasting continuous use even under extreme circumstances. The silver impregnated ceramic element is effective against bacteria and protozoa. The Katadyn Pocket is the only water filter with a 20 year warranty. Includes: Prefilter, bottle clip and carry bag.

• Capacity (gal): 13000
        • Capacity (L): 50000
        • Dimensions (cm): 24 x 6
        • Dimensions (in): 10 x 2.4
        • Output (gal): ~ 1 quart/min
        • Output (L): ~ 1 L/min
        • Technology: 0.2 micron ceramic depth filter (cleanable)
        • Weight (grams): 550
        • Weight (oz): 20

I also recommend the Camelbak all clear.

Last edited by unseenone; 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

MSR is a solid company.

Look at the reviews at REI

Never used this filter before but have their Whisper Lite stove.

I have this one and its great http://www.rei.com/product/830341/ms...kpacking-stove
          Last edited by AD; 02-09-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

It all depends on the water you are useing it on. I swear by the First Need water purifier. When you really don't know the water you can't go wrong picking it. It doesn't have the greatest capacity 150 gallons + or -. I can't seem to trust a pruifier with claims of thousands if not a million gallons. I tend to believe the more you take out of th water the quicker the purifier will reach capacity. Always keep in mind there is a difference between a "Filter" and a "Purifier".

Comment

What do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something to put in a GHB. I like the one that you can back flush and clean with bleach. I know it depends on a lot of factors like dirt, mud, etc.

Comment

I use a Sweetwater and have no issues with it. The thing that worries me about that filter is how easy it pumps. My Sweetwater uses a ceramic filter and it takes some effort to pump it. The finer your filter medium the slower the water has to go or the more pressure it takes to push it through.
                I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

I have a Sweatwater too. Not needed to use it but its in the bag

Comment

I have the sweetwater in my doomsday supplies but recently bought this online to carry in my GHB. The customer service guy says he likes this one way better than the Lifestraw. I don't know that much about it but from what I was told, I 'm sure it will be fine. Please look it up before you take my word for it. I cannot be trusted... & now I cannot get the photo to upload.

It is a little thing called "Sawyer Mini"

DSC06038.jpg
                    I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Can the sweet water filter be cleaned? Or do you have to change the filter.

Comment

Personally, I believe there is nothing better than the Katadyne Pocket Filter. It's extremely well made, filters out virtually everything and is quite portable. I have two of these units. But, they are expen$ive! Heck, my Berkey home filtration system (black filters), cost about the same as one Pocket Filter.

Comment

Does the Katadyne kill bacteria?

Comment

I believe it filters it out.... visiting their web site is worthwhile. They do / have Military and NGO a lot. Of course you can supplement with a Camelbak all clear UV bottle. Which is what I do.

I know a guy selling a couple new unused ones at a reduced price, I think he's still got them.

Ceramic replacement element for the Katadyn Expedition filter. Retains suspended solids and traps safely all harmful bacteria and parasites like Cryptosporidium and Giardia. The silver-impregnated Ceramic works against bacteria growth. Silver Quartz inside the element controls any possible recontamination through the outlet tap. Katadyn Ceramic provides fresh and natural tasting drinking water without using chemicals
                            Last edited by unseenone; 05-07-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X