Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage

I hate to admit that at age 40 I am just starting to learn about growing my own veggies and canning. Sure wish now I paid more attention back when my
    grandpa was a live, a lot of knowledge just gone and not passed down..

So my question is what kind of experation date does canning have? Does it depend on what it is? Is there a book or site that offer this kind of info?
    Starting to stock up food, but I also do not want grow, can more food than we will use. I guess more is better… Thanks
    "You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel!!!"

Some stuff holds up better than other things, but when it comes to shelf life, there are people who have years of food, including home-canned, in a basement or root cellar. Sometimes people get something tested - if you follow safe procedures it should be good for quite a long time. Some companies that sell for food storage will regularly open and test items that were set aside many years ago, checking safety, and if safe, then nutrients, flavor, and texture.

It's an honest way to determine shelf life.

For canning your own, you will want to get at least a "Ball Blue Book" - make sure you get the most recent one you can find, as it will have any updated information on equipment, pectin and other products, and some good recipes.

Once you get off to a good start and have the science down, you'll find yourself getting more recipes, or getting grandparents' recipes from any cousins that may have them. You may find you especially enjoy canning vegetables, or meats, or you like how your own salsa recipe turns out (spices tend to intensify.)

Do you have any canning equipment yet?
    Last edited by W.Lynn; 01-12-2014, 02:50 AM.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Also, if you don't mind old info, much is free.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/pu...ions_usda.html

Comment

Canning is kind of addictive and you will definitely prefer your own food to the storebought canned stuff. The Hostile Native picked up some greenbeans at the farmer's market and brought them home to can. I like greenbeans, but could take them or leave them. They weren't my favorite vegetable by any means. After she canned hers though, oh my gosh, those things are awesome. I am always asking for them and complain if she tries to fed me the storebought crap. Her home canned greenbeans are the best I have ever had.

A person gets a lot of satisfaction raising and preserving their own food. More time and care can be taken to insure the quality than what the big outfits can put into it. You will get to where you won't want to eat the stuff from the store at all. Like W.Lynn said, get the Ball Blue Book. Also, get the old family recipes and don't forget about google. The Hostile Native has got quite a few different recipes off of google that she wouldn't have ever thought about. It doesn't hurt to try and find different recipes that put ingredients together to make something out of the ordinary. You will appreciate the variety and will find some new favorites.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I bought this book for my wife, well us.. Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.
          W.Lynn thanks; I will have to look into this self life a little deep then. We recently had to put my grandmother in a home (early stages of dementia) I acquired all
          recipes and most of her canning stuff. There is a old grinder somewhere I'm still looking for. We also bought and not sure what size, but it's a really big pressure canner
          and works pretty good. I'm sure right now I don't know enough to know if I have everything.

Tex I already do prefer home canned stuff over store bought!! Already have a huge list of stuff I want to make.
          I like that fact I know and can control what I am going to eat. I will check out google for my options..

Comment

Make sure to go over all of the equipment with a fine toothed comb. The Hostile Native had an old pressure canner that belonged to her Mom and she wanted to use that. I looked it up online though and within the first two lines I was convinced that we would be buying a new pressure canner. Some of the old ones, although they worked, were not necessarily the safest thing out there. Google is your friend. Look up all of the equipment and make damn sure that what you are using is safe and user friendly.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Some pressure canners need a gasket in the lid, look for that if your's needs it. It has to be removed, cleaned, lightly oiled, and put back in. Also clean the nozzle where steam goes to the pressure indicator, either to a gage dial, or weighted, rocking indicator. Mine has a pressure release to prevent explosions. It's a small hole in the lid with a well fitted plug that seems kind of loose when not under pressure, but it will rise and block the hole. If for any reason the pressure exceeds safe levels, that plug will blast right out of there, probably bounce off a few surfaces in my kitchen, and when the pressure suddenly all goes out that hole, most of the jars will probably suddenly break also. But my stove, kitchen, family, and self will all be intact.
              Last edited by W.Lynn; 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will check out our pressure canner more closely. It's maybe 2 years old, but I know I haven't checked the gasket..

Comment

If you can find spare gaskets buy them now
                  DD
                  OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Working...
                  X