Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening

Figured I would start a gardening section, since my little garden could not be classified as, ranching or homesteading. Never had a problem growing zucchini before. The last 2 years some dang squash bug gets them. I have tried vegetable powder to no avail. Usually you can't give zucchini away, but now I can't grow me!!!
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Gardening

Wife sprinkles 7 dust on ours and seemes to work. The first year we had those bugs really bad.
    If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Gardening

I will try that instead of what I am using. Once those bugs get started I don't know if I can save the plants.
      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Gardening

I know she would go out in the late evening to dust the plants. Said that was when they would be easier to get the dust on them and to get the plants covered at the same time. Seemed to work, we had squash and zuuks all summer long last year.

Comment

Gardening

Wife just told me of a new dust that is called 8. It is suppose to be the upgraded version of 7 with better bug killing stuff. Looks like a trip to town tomorrow.

Comment

Gardening

Originally posted by "DMH" post=4241
            Figured I would start a gardening section, since my little garden could not be classified as, ranching or homesteading. Never had a problem growing zucchini before. The last 2 years some dang squash bug gets them. I have tried vegetable powder to no avail. Usually you can't give zucchini away, but now I can't grow me!!!
            You may have vine-borers, they were pretty well covered in a garden thread at SB. After they eat into the vine, I don't know if dusting the outside will get to them.

Check near the base of the vines for a small hole, and powdery leavings from bugs chewing up inside the vines. Weakened vines will support bugs, but won't produce.

If it's vine-borers, you can kill the one inside a given vine by stabbing through both vine and borer with something strong and sharp, but so narrow as not to add too much additional damage to the vine.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Gardening

Funny rockn.

DMH - it's actually called SEVIN
              Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Gardening

y zukes are about 18" long and 4" dia. we gave a bunch away. we have lady bugs in our small plot. them goofy rollie-pollies were trying to take over everything. I have 2 lemon trees,2 orange trees, 2 peach trees,a few blackberry plants, avacado tree, and other stuff like 6 different pepper plants. the 8 mammoth sunflowers have finally died off and birds are eating seeds.

Comment

Two things my grandma used to use was coffee grounds in the soil and lemon scented dish soap and water in a spray bottle. I put coffee grounds in my compost and haven't had a problem with bugs, never tried the dish soap, but grandma used to grow a kick ass garden so it might be worth a try. Sorry I'm late to this but hey maybe next year it will be helpful.

Comment

Julie, I have a question for you. You mentioned coffee grounds in the compost. We don't drink much coffee, but I do go through a lot of tea. The Hostile Native saves all of the teabags and they go into the compost. Is there any difference that you know of?

Tex
                    = 2
                    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I can do this one Tex, you can add both loose tea and tea bags to your compost. With the tea bags, you might care to remove the staples in case your chickens scrounge among the compost. It's not exactly the same as adding coffee, because it's leaves from one plant compared to roasted and ground seed from another, but both are fine, and the thin paper from tea bags will decompose just fine.

If you don't drink coffee, but want some for your compost, many coffee shops are happy to load you down with all you can take. Home coffee drinkers just take it filter and all from the basket of their drip coffee pot.
                      Last edited by W.Lynn; 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM. Reason: If you're allergic to it, then don't.
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Wood ash sprinkled on Potato plants to keep the beatles off of them,The bugs not the band.
                        DD
                        OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

I have a question for anyone who cares to try to help. Every year I grow lettuce. Through the years I have tried it all from Iceburg to romaine and everything in between. My problem is the the lettuce plants grow beautifully, but they taste like crap! They are so bitter that they aren't edible. Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be my soil? Do you have to do something special to lettuce? Maybe lettuce just hates my guts...I don't know, I'm just sick of having a beautiful salad and no lettuce. Thanks for the help in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by JulieNY View Post
                            I have a question for anyone who cares to try to help. Every year I grow lettuce. Through the years I have tried it all from Iceburg to romaine and everything in between. My problem is the the lettuce plants grow beautifully, but they taste like crap! They are so bitter that they aren't edible. Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be my soil? Do you have to do something special to lettuce? Maybe lettuce just hates my guts...I don't know, I'm just sick of having a beautiful salad and no lettuce. Thanks for the help in advance!
                            This is the exact reason I am looking into some sort of hydroponic set up for lettuce-cause we love it but growing it is a pain, esp. out here where it bolts so durn fast, and it tastes like what you describe. I have found all sorts of interesting easy-to-fashion hydroponic things on youtube and around. It's one of our goals this next spring. Sorry I'm not any help.
                            Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Originally posted by southernmom View Post
                              This is the exact reason I am looking into some sort of hydroponic set up for lettuce-cause we love it but growing it is a pain, esp. out here where it bolts so durn fast, and it tastes like what you describe. I have found all sorts of interesting easy-to-fashion hydroponic things on youtube and around. It's one of our goals this next spring. Sorry I'm not any help.
                              Well Southernmom it is helpful to know that it's not my gardening lol. I guess I will have to do some more research. If I find out anything useful I will let you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X